Tag: Energy Company

  • Arctic oil production questioned

    Arctic oil production questioned

    Oil pollution in the sea

    The chief executive of the energy company Total warns against oil drilling in the Arctic. He says that oil spills would destroy the image of companies.

    Total has had many oil projects in the Arctic, and still has several exploration projects concerning gas, which the executive, Christophe de Margerie, says is easier to deal with than oil spills.

    “Oil on Greenland would be a disaster,” de Margerie told the Financial Times. “A leak would do too much damage to the image of the company”.

    Financial Times states that this is the first time an oil major has publicly spoken out against offshore oil exploration in the region.

    Although not mentioning the fragile nature and environment in the Arctic, rather highlighting the image of the company concerning damage in oil spills, environmentalists are happy with the comments.

    de Margerie emphasized that he was not opposed to Arctic exploration in principle.

    The Financial Times also reports that Royal Dutch Shell had to postpone until next year an attempt to drill into oil-bearing rock off the Alaskan coast after a piece of safety equipment was damaged during testing. It has spent $4.5bn and seven years preparing to drill.

    Many companies are exploring and drilling for oil in the Arctic, ExxonMobil, ENI of Italy and Statoil of Norway amongst them, as well as Russian Giants Gazprom.

    Total’s Arctic projects are concentrated in Russia. As well as its stake in Shtokman, it has interests in a number of onshore developments, such as a big liquefied natural gas venture in Russia’s far north known as Yamal LNG. It also operates a Siberian oilfield called Kharyaga.

    According to a 2008 study by the US Geological Survey, the Arctic contains just over a fifth of the world’s undiscovered, recoverable oil and gas resources.

    Source:

    Financial Times

  • N.W.T. Oil Pipeline Leaks – Up to 1500 Barrels Spilled

    N.W.T. Oil Pipeline Leaks – Up to 1500 Barrels Spilled

    NWT oil spill

    The Energy Company Enbridge Inc. says up to 1,500 barrels of oil may have leaked from its pipeline in the Northwest Territories last month, much higher than the company’s initial estimate of four barrels.

    On May 9, Enbridge Inc. reported that it had confirmed a crude oil leak from a pipeline on its Norman Wells System (Line 21) approximately 50 km south of the community of Wrigley, NWT. On May 20th Enbridge returned the Norman Wells line to service after completing the necessary repairs.
    According to Enbridge Inc., the oil remains contained and there are no impacts to moving water. Their original four barrel estimate was based on oil collected at the surface and did not take into account the subsurface impacts, which were believed to be not significantly, which they were.

    The increase in subsurface oil was discovered during the ongoing environmental site assessment, which includes subsurface analysis and is standard practice for all releases. Based on current estimates provided by the third party experts on site, Enbridge anticipates the release volume could range from a minimum of 700 barrels to a maximum of 1,500 barrels. Based on its current analysis, Enbridge anticipates the probability that the maximum volume would be exceeded to be low. The company has confirmed that they have removed approximately 100 barrels of oil.
    Chief wants inquiry

    The massive increase did not surprise the Wrigley Chief, Tim Lennie, who was among the first people to discover the leak. Lennie said while people in Wrigley, a community of over 100, had suspected it was a larger spill all along, the latest news is still hard to digest.
    “It’s anger, it’s frustration. I’m quite certain with this news, there will be more questions,” he said. “There needs to be an inquiry on this, I feel now.” states Lennie.

    River not affected, says company

    Third party experts are onsite and the company is working to define the subsurface impacts. Once this work is complete, a revised estimate of the size of the release can be determined. The company continues to recover oil and is shipping it off site. Contaminated water is being treated onsite. Contaminated soil will be removed once site conditions allow.

    Enbridge says it is important to note that the oil is contained in an area along and directly adjacent to the right of way and that no watercourses are threatened. There continues to be no impact to the Willowlake River. The area will be continued to be monitored closely. Crews of approximately 15 people, comprised of Enbridge and contract support personnel, are onsite and continue to recover crude oil, and conduct environmental assessment activities.

    Tim Lenniw Lennie however states that he has heard from people living in the area that the spill has impacted the area.
    The National Energy Board says it has no reason to doubt the information it has received from Enbridge, where the information from Enbridge is considered safe.

    The Norman Wells pipeline was back up and running on May 20, after repairs were made. Enbridge says the cause of the pipeline leak remains under investigation.

    Northwest Territories on a map

    Source:

    CBC News

    Enbridge Inc.